Trainer Interview Questions and Answers
Trainer interview questions and answers to help you get the trainer job you want.
Trainer jobs will vary from company to company and according to the level of the trainer position but there are a number of common key competencies required for a professional trainer.
Whether the trainer is presenting sales training, management training,
finance training or customer service training the core skills and
abilities for a successful business trainer are standard.
These interview questions explore those essential competencies and
skills needed to:
- determine and meet employee development needs
- to facilitate and present successful and effective training courses
10 Top Trainer Interview Questions and Answers
What specific skills do you bring to the trainer position?
Refer to the essential skills and behaviors that every successful
These include technical skills such as knowledge of adult
learning principles and business core competencies such as knowledge and
understanding of basic business principles and organizational behavior.
Include personal competencies such as:
- planning and organizing skills
- information gathering and analysis
- communication and presentation
- coaching skills
Support your answer with work related examples.
Give me an example of a learning intervention you implemented which was successful. Why do you think it worked well?
Take the interviewer through each step of the training process:
- identifying the training needs
- designing the right learning intervention
- presenting the training program
- evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention
Highlight the key skills you used from problem assessment to decision-making to presentation skills to evaluation skills.
What has been the most difficult training situation that you have had to deal with and what did you do?
Training employees can present many challenges. Some common difficulties include:
- lack of manager or supervisor support
- disinterest and lack of motivation from the employee
- lack of engagement from participants
- poor learning transfer to the job
The key to answering these trainer interview questions is to explain how you analyzed why the difficulty occurred and what actions you took to improve the situation including:
- redesigning the training
- conducting feedback workshops with participants and supervisors
How have you gone about identifying employee training needs in the organization?
Finding out training needs includes:
- communicating with managers and supervisors
- conducting surveys
- talking to the employees
- observing on the job performance
- analyzing performance management feedback and organizational, departmental and operational needs
Give a specific example in your interview answer.
Tell me about a recent training program. How did you ensure the skills were successfully transferred?
transfer is an ongoing process. Ways of assessing the degree of
- talking to supervisors, customers and colleagues
- getting feedback from the employee
Focus on key requirements for training transfer starting with a training program that is properly linked to real work life experience.
Discuss the need for manager and supervisor support and reinforcement back on the job.
Describe a recent on-the-job training activity you facilitated.
On the job training presents its own challenges including distractions, lack of structure and nervousness from the employee. Take a specific example and discuss how you managed the difficulties.
What do you consider the key criteria for training to be effective?
When answering trainer interview questions about effective training relate it to actual examples. Effective training means:
- the employees are engaged in the training
- the employees learn new skills, ideas and knowledge
- the process enhances employee self esteem and instills confidence and motivation
- the participants are able to transfer effectively what has been learned into the work environment
- the training meets the employee’s development and training needs and helps fulfill the organization’s goals and objectives
What training methods have you used and which have proven the most effective in your experience?
Professional trainers use a variety of methods including role playing, online modules, simulation, lectures, case studies. Deciding on the most effective training method includes:
- assessing the training needs of the employees
- determining which skills and
knowledge need to be learned
- selecting the most appropriate
training method for imparting these specific skills, abilities and
The method must match the participants’ profile and needs and the learning material. Highlight your use of current technology.
How do you keep  current with the latest developments and ideas about business training?
on your motivation for professional development and learning. Do you
attend seminars, subscribe to relevant publications, do research on the
internet and proactively update yourself?
What do you consider to be your strengths as a trainer?
key to answering this interview question is to identify those strengths
that add the most value to the specific job opportunity to make your
answer as relevant as possible. This list of employee strengths will help you.
Behavioral trainer interview questions
Your trainer job interview will explore the competencies, behaviors and qualities required for successful job performance.
Find out how to handle the behavioral interview like a pro.
Questions to ask in your trainer interview
Prepare some good questions to ask in your trainer job interview. Use the sample questions at trainer interview questions to ask
QUESTIONS TO ASK
Questions about the job
QUESTIONS TO ASK
Questions about the company
QUESTIONS TO ASK
Questions about  management
Communication skills for a trainer
Communication is key to the training job. Make the right impression with these interview communication tips
Communication skills interview questions
Be ready for standard job interview questions
Why should we hire you?
What can you tell me about yourself
Why do you want to work here?
What is the role of the trainer?
Gain a good understanding of the role and responsibilities of a trainer in addition to the skills and competencies required for top job performance in this position.
Training Job Description
Job interview candidates recommend these top pages
Human Resources Interview Questions
Top 10 Interview Questions